To contact Mark

Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Interior Comes Together



The interior is 90% done! The carpet, side panels, roof liner and vanity panel are all in. I still need to do some finish work and install the seat belts. I have put in some shots of all the above, but realized there are some areas I didn't get pictures of. We are very happy with the way it is coming out.




Here is a shot of the carpet and the mats in the rear seat footwell.




The headphone jack and power panel. I'm still proud of this one.




The overhead. The beams are covered in leather and the ceiling in Calypso covered Kydex panels.




The foot well on the pilot's side. Note the cool sewn in floor mat.





The door trim. Yes, I kept the map pocket. I know most builders eliminate them, but I like storage and it will keep sectionals right at hand.




Here is a shot of the leather covered vanity panel with an embroidered Velocity "Zoom Logo". I really like this touch. It's just rough fit in place and needs to have the edges fitted and glued onto the panel.




Here are the happy passengers in their new domain. They have a TON of room - strake cut outs for toys and games, under the seat, between them, behind them in the baggage compartment....
It's really striking how roomy this thing is.




Here is a shot taken with the camera on the glare shield. It gives you some idea of just how big the cabin is. See the kids way in the back and the vanity panel 18" behind them. This it the first time we've all sat in the plane. Sure, it was in the hangar with the wings removed, but you have to start somewhere. I can finally picture going somewhere as a family.




Here's a shot taken by the Katie from the back seat. There is a ton of room back there and lots of baggage space.




....and the kids make fun as Dad gets in and makes airplane noises. I had some trepidation about whether the seat would be in the right place ergonomically. Andy and others have actually moved their panels aft and up several inches. Luckily, the factory specs work just right for a 6' 2" pilot and everything falls to hand perfectly. I am very pleased.

As usual, there is much tweaking to do. I expect to work for another week or two to get the interior just so. The engraved rockers should be back soon and I can get the overhead panel re-installed. I am having the Infinity stick grip laser engraved and so that has to come out as well. However, I am just about there and I am happy with the fabrics and finishes we chose. My wife was a big help there. I would typically do the "guy thing", e.g. tan leather, tan carpet, more tan leather, etc. She convinced me to add some more color and it does have a very corporate jet look.

__________________________________________________________________

1 comment:

it is your choice today said...

Mark I must say I can not wait to see your Velocity in person. The interior is looking great.

I love the pictures with the family as it really shows the room.

I bought a Velocity XL RG about 3 years ago and almost finished, but the company I was working for shut the doors. Luckly I have paid cash as I went. Only like about 3 thousand and it will be back in the air testing.

So it will be the last thing to go if I have to down size.

Keep up the good work and the wonderful site.

Dan Charles
New Orleans
N121HS