To contact Mark

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Tripped at the Finish Line



The airplane is finished, every little detail finally right. It's gorgeous, I am very happy with it and excited for the first flight. Then a real disaster right at the finish line. I had to give this a few days before I could even write about it. Thank you to all my friends in the Velocity community for your support and encouragement. For those who haven't heard, here are the details of my preparation for first flight and how they were derailed last week.

____________________________________________________________


The FAA paperwork is finally finished and ready to send off to the DAR. As you will see, it is considerable- 16 packets of documents all filled out, signed, notarized and ready to go. This took a while. ( ...and I'm a lawyer. I'm used to paperwork)

____________________________________________________________


It is time to take off the wings and canard to move the plane to a waiting hangar arranged at a large local airport. I have two trailers and lots of friends lined up for next Saturday. Airfare and transition training at Velocity Monday through Wednesday. The DAR is scheduled for that Thursday. Everything is all set, or so I thought.

_____________________________________________________________




Both wings are off and just the canard to go. Then she's ready to truck to the waiting hangar at a larger airport for next week's inspection and flight testing.

____________________________________________________________




One last adjustment and I'll put her away to put on the trailer for transport to Lancaster Airport for the first flight. I pull it just onto the taxiway to get the runway heading.

This is the view from my hangar door as I walk out to align the two magnetometers.

____________________________________________________________




After a couple of adjustments on the magnetometer mounts in the strakes, the compasses are already reading within 5 degrees of each other. One more adjustment should do it.....

____________________________________________________________




...then, the unbelievable happened. I looked up to my left to see an Aeronca Champ pull up to the taxiway midfield about 100 yards away to my left. I wonder where he's going? The normal departure end of the runway is further to his left at the opposite end of the field and the pumps are straight across on the other end of the runway.

No, he's turning to the right toward me. OK, I'll push her out of the way onto the ramp.

But he's coming pretty fast. He's not S turning. Can't he see me? Jump up and down, arms waving, screaming at him. Run out to the edge of the taxi way. He's still not slowing and seems to be looking down at his lap. More yelling, not slowing down, run back to the plane and PUSH on the nose- just get her into the grass- no time- he's right on top of me-jump out of the way!!! and...CRASH.

He struck my plane with the prop almost spinner to nose. Pieces of my plane are everywhere. The plane was JUST finished and ready to fly next week. I can't believe it. Really, I am beyond words. Four years of work, everything finally just so and now this. My carefully laid plans and timetables to get to Oshkosh are out the window.

_____________________________________________________________





Here are some more pictures of the damage. It is extensive. It still hurts to look at these pictures. Worse yet, the interior, engine , prop and battery have been removed. It looks like a 2 year rewind of sweat and tears.

That's the bad news. I have to admit that I was very upset, sad,disheartened and, yes, ANGRY after this happened. However, that's just not productive and certainly wasn't making me feel any better, so I tried to start looking forward as soon as possible.

The other pilot involved has stepped up to the plate and agreed to pay directly for repairs. I spent a couple days on the phone and have my "Plan B" worked out at this point. My aim is to salvage my dream of flying the completed plane into Oshkosh this year.

Plan B goes like this- Fast Aircraft Transport will arrive on Sunday to pick up the plane. I have a crew of great friends who are willing to give up some of their Easter to help me load the plane. It will arrive at the factory at Sebastian on Tuesday. Scott Swing will be grafting a new nose on poor 929X over the following 3 to 4 weeks. I've arranged a local DAR to do the inspection down there and I will fly down to attend the inspection and first flight.

Problem is that the plane can't be flown home until the hours are flown off. I will have John Abraham, Velocity's chief pilot, fly off a good portion of the hours, then do the rest myself and fly the plane back to my airport in Pennsylvania. The paint shop kindly rescheduled me to the beginning of June to do the final finish and paint. I'll then have about a month before Oshkosh to fly, fly and fly some more. IF I feel comfortable enough at that point, I can load up the wife and kids and live the dream one more time. Flying my first Velocity into Oshkosh in 2000 was something I'll always think of as one of my greatest accomplishments.

So, there it is. A catastrophe to be sure. I'm trying to turn lemons into lemonade and keep a positive attitude. I will definitely get her flying this summer and am probably still 90% for Oshkosh.

Keep your fingers crossed and I'll post on the transport, inspection, first flight, etc. over the next two months so those of you who have been following the birth of N929X can see the end of this chapter and the beginning of the next.

Thanks again for all the calls. I hope to see you in the shade under my strake at Oshkosh. 113 days to go and none to waste.

____________________________________________________________

2 comments:

Peter Kurzyna said...

I heard the bad news. If you need any help on Sunday on any day, give me a call. We are home this Sunday (4/4) doing nothing while the wife sleeps.

Peter Kurzyna

Unknown said...

Mark,

This is truly horrible! I can only imagine the frustration/anger/disappointment/etc. When I read your latest update I literally swore at my computer (not that it was its fault).

Even though I'm not intimately familiar with the construction of a Velocity, as a pilot, I can see the magnitude of the damage. Frankly I don't care what the other bloke's plane looks like - you must've torn him a new orifice (or three).

I hope there's enough time and good-will in the Velocity community to achieve your plan to fly to Oshkosh! I'll be rooting for you all the way from Oz.

My sympathies, and wishing every bit of luck!

James