To contact Mark

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Back Home from DC



As of Wednesday, it was time to pick up my plane and bring it home. I got stuck in court on Wednesday so I made arrangements to head down early Thursday in the rental car to pick it up and fly home.

The Wednesday night weather briefing revealed a problem. Pennsylvania would be clear until late afternoon, but snow storms with icing and IFR conditions would be moving into the Gaithersburg area in the late morning. I decided I could still make it if I got out of there early enough.

I started the 3 hour drive at 6:00 a.m. Once the sun came up, it looked encouragingly clear until I got further south. As  you can see in the picture, by the time I got into the D.C. area, it was gloomy and the ceilings were coming down quickly.

Due to beltway traffic jams, I didn't get to Gaithersburg until 9:30. I got a ride to the airport and we pulled my plane out of the toasty heated hangar my hosts had been kind enough to keep the plane in overnight. (Thanks again Bruce!) I called 800-WXBRIEF  to get the weather and to file my SFRA flight plan. I was told that the snow storm was only moments away and that nearby Dulles was already IFR with icing and moderate turbulence reported around Gaithersburg, but still clear only a few miles to the North.

I preflighted the plane and strapped in. I called Potomac approach to activate my flight plan and received a frequency and transponder code. I quickly taxied to the departure end of runway 14 and did my run up. As I did so, the snow quickly started to fall. I could see that it was clear just past the airport and took off. Within  1 or 2 minutes I was in the clear with 20 miles of visibility. I kept the speed down to 130 knots for the first 10 minutes of uncomfortable turbulence.  I called Potomac approach, which confirmed that they were receiving my transponder signal and cleared me on course. Just about the time I got their call that I was clearing the SFRA and should squawk VFR, the turbulence abated.

I picked up the speed to 165 knots, climbed to 5,500 and proceeded on course for home. I pulled into the airport 35 minutes after taking off and put the plane away. As you will see from the pictures, it was not a great day for flying. That's the sun trying to peek through above the prop in the bottom picture.



One more successful trip. I really look forward to that new paint. Only 2 more weeks.

___________________________________________________________________

No comments: