To contact Mark

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Fingers Crossed at the Paint Shop



Here is the layout for my final paint scheme. I went through about a million iterations before deciding on this one. It is a three color, base coat/clear coat with pearl colors and drop shadows.

I think it will be even nicer than the green and grey I've been flying since June. Like everything else, the paint work has presented unexpected challenges.

______________________________________________________________









It seems nothing is going to go easily in my home stretch on the plane. After some serious disagreements with the paint shop early in the summer, we agreed to reschedule the final paint work to commence on October 4. I came in and approved test panels with the custom paint, which was gorgeous. I called on Thursday (as in 3 days ago) to confirm that I could fly the plane in on Saturday morning at 8:00 so that the owner could let me into the paint shop, where I would take it apart to have them ready to dive in on Monday the 4th.

I got up early, loaded the plane with tools and landed just before 8:00. Nobody home. I parked and waited at the office for two hours. No joy. I called my wife to pick me up and then saw that the owner had arrived. OK, I decided, no big deal. I'll just go over and get this done.

I walked over only to be informed that the shop was booked and that my plane couldn't be done until late December. ???????

I was a little put off.

After some spirited discussion, the owner agreed to accommodate me by putting my plane in a currently vacant hangar so that the prep work could get started. I was promised the plane back by mid to late November.

I'm really not thrilled by this deal, but on the other hand, I really don't want to lose faith in someone who did a great job and really helped me out on a prior paint job. I actually believe that, if they ever actually do the work, this shop will turn out a peerless show quality paint job.

Lemons to lemonade time again. I will help out by disassembling the plane for prep work and paint. I'll follow the progress closely (very) and help out wherever I can. I taxied the plane over to the vacant hangar and spent the day taking things apart, hopefully for the last time.

________________________________________________________________




I took off the nose gear doors after making alignment marks and a diagram of where I'd put washers to make everything fit. Hopefully it will go back together more easily.

______________________________________________________________




The rudder and cowling are off. If you look at the bottom of the winglets, you'll see that I cut them apart again and re-glassed them to trail in perfectly with the shimmed out rudders. I put a book shelf under the engine before removing the canard. One little bump on the nose when the canard is off and it will tip back on the prop and spoil your whole day.

______________________________________________________________




I've got all of the control surfaces, gear doors, sparrow strainer, etc removed and stacked neatly on a table. The cowlings are off and set aside. All of the small parts like the wing bolt access covers, canard counterweight covers, vortilons and the like are bagged, labeled and boxed. The parts for everything I removed are in marked ziploc bags and boxed.

The only thing I didn't do was remove the "temporary" vinyl N numbers. That's in quotes because these things are really stuck on. There has to be a tip or trick to get them off- heat, solvent, something. I am really glad I incorporated 12" N numbers in our paint scheme. I don't really like them, but am thankful we didn't go with the idea some had suggested of just putting the big numbers on in vinyl when we went to the Bahamas and removing them when we got back. That would have been pretty hard. I'll ask the paint shop guys and go out there this week and remove them with the recommended procedure to help move things along.

_______________________________________________________________




Well, here she is with the canard back on, all the control surfaces and gear doors off. I've put 100 pounds of lead shot in the nose to safeguard against an accidental tip back onto the prop, but these guys have done fill and primer work on her already and know how to move her around.

After all that has happened, I am not really confident in how long the paint work will take (as in it might be a long process). However, I'm trying to keep an open mind, one more chance, fresh start, etc, etc. After all, this shop did a great job on my first plane and has a first rate painter.

I'll be posting progress pictures as the work goes along and we'll find out together.

______________________________________________________________

No comments: