To contact Mark

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Ocean City Commute


The family vacation was this week in Ocean City, NJ. I couldn't really afford to take all 5 days off work, so I decided to fly down on Saturday, fly home on Monday night. I would then be able to work on Tuesday and Wednesday then have Thursday through Saturday with the family.

This would not work if I had to drive. It is a 2 1/2 hour drive from home. The good news is that it is only a 20 minute flight. Sean and I flew down, while Nancy and Katie drove. Sean and I beat them there by about 2 hours, but we did have to dodge through some rain and low clouds to get out of Pennsylvania. (surprise). Here is Sean in front of the Velocity on the ramp at Ocean City.

_______________________________________________________________


We head out to the parking lot, where my brother picks us up for the short hop over to the rental house. This view looking back to the West shows the weather we came in through.

_________________________________________________________________









The bad weather follows me to Ocean City. We got 3 1/2 inches of rain in a couple hours. These are pictures of the kids playing in the street in front of the house. The water was almost 2 feet deep. I decided to go to the airport and check on the plane. Sure enough, the carpets were wet on one side. I blotted the water up with beach towels. Glad I checked. I need to find a better way to seal the canard cover.

_______________________________________________________________

 

Things cleared up and the kids had a great time on the beach.

_______________________________________________________________


Monday night at 7:00 I fire up the plane to head home.

____________________________________________________________






Here are a few shots of the departure from Ocean City. They were taken with our good camera and a telephoto lens for once, so they are worth clicking on.

_____________________________________________________________

View to the North toward Philadelphia

View of Wilmington, Delaware to the South

View of GRT Avionics screens -click to see how much info is provided

Here are some shots from the cockpit about 10 minutes later as I cross the Delaware river into Pennsylvania.

______________________________________________________________


Back on the ground at Chester County. I put the plane away and head home for a couple of days before returning to the shore.

_______________________________________________________________

I am thinking of going to the big canard fly in at Rough River Kentucky on the last weekend in September. I hope it works out this year. It looks like a lot of fun.

More pictures to come.

______________________________________________________________


No comments: