To contact Mark

Monday, February 7, 2011

Paint Prep Continues



Well, I stopped out at the paint shop and the prep work continues, but things are still a couple weeks away from the first coat of white primer. Other planes continue to march through the shop while the endless sanding progresses. In the background above is the RV that was bare metal when I first posted on my trip to the paint shop. It's paint work is flawless, which gives me hope.

My plane is smoother and straighter (and dirtier and dustier) on each visit. I think it will still be a month before I fly it out.

_____________________________________________________________________





As I said earlier, I am using the downtime in the paint shop to upgrade some things I was never really satisfied with. The roof liner was flexed sheets of Kydex upholstered with Calypso. The good news was that it hid all the imperfections in the ceiling. The bad news was that I lost some valuable head room which, at 6' 2", I really need.

My interior guy is going to reupholster it with 1/8 inch Ensolite foam and Calypso glued right to the ceiling. This required removal of the old liner and filling and sanding of all the imperfections which had been hidden. That meant 4 hours eating dust while kneeling inside my plastic draped fuselage.

It turned out well and is ready for the new upholstery. I headed home after lunch and spent another fun 8 hours tiling the kitchen.

_____________________________________________________________________



I thought I'd post one "action shot". Here is Dave, the painter, doing some fill work on the wing/strake junction.

More to come, hopefully featuring colors other than Kermit green.

______________________________________________________________________

No comments: