To contact Mark

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Cincinnati - A Gathering of Eagle(Ones)



My plane is still down at Velocity in Florida while John Abraham flies off hours. Of course, there have already been the expected annoying squawks, including a hydraulic seep, dirt in injector lines and more bad probes. However, it is progressing. He has tested it at 140, 160 and 180 knots on the test flights so far and is continuing to expand the envelope. (I'll be happy if it tops out at anything starting with a "2")

I can only hear about the progress second hand and bug him with calls and emails suggesting my recommended fixes. It is frustrating not being there because of the accident, but I'm sure it could not be in better hands. As I mentioned in the last post, the guys at Velocity were great when I was down there last week. I was really impressed.

Since I don't have much in the way of N929X photos or other news, this post will be more people oriented than hardware oriented. I have enjoyed being part of the close knit Velocity community since building my first Velocity. When my business trip took me to Cincinnati overnight, I had the chance to visit several local builders/friends and see their projects.

____________________________________________________________





First off, a visit to Jerry Brainerd's house. He and Bob Buls are both building XL-RG's in the terrific workshop that Jerry built. Here is Bob's Vesta V8 auto conversion with Vesta constant speed prop. This is actually the one that was on display at the Vesta booth at Oshkosh.

Right beside it is Jerry's project, which has lots of really cool detail work already. Unfortunately, it is too late for me to take advantage of most of his innovations.

________________________________________________________




.....and I thought I was OCD about details. Here is Jerry's nose fork polished to a mirror finish like most of the other metal parts (even the ones no one will see). Of course, this dooms me to a weekend with the sander and buffing wheel to try to achieve this great look.

______________________________________________________










Next up a visit to the hangar of Brett and Elizabeth Ferrell with their beautiful XL-FG "The Fox". She is newly painted and just about ready to fly (again). They have put together a real Garage Mahal level hangar. Kudos guys, it is great.

After that, it is out to dinner as one big group.

___________________________________________________________




My hosts, Brett and Elizabeth Ferrell. I just heard from them that their plane will be back in the air this coming Monday. Way to go you two! I can't wait to fly with you.

_________________________________________________________




Jerry and Linda Brainerd. You can hardly recognize him without his apron and spatula from the cookout.

_______________________________________________________




Andy and Theresa Millin
I am threatening to drop in on them next up in Michigan as soon as I get my plane back from Florida. Andy is in the home stretch with his project. Between me, Andy and the Ferrells, we'll soon have our own Velocity moving airshow.

__________________________________________________________


Bob Buls - the "Shmooey meister". (You'll have to ask him)

________________________________________________________



Then the whole gang went out to dinner. We usually have to wait for the Velocity Cookout at Oshkosh to get this many of us together.

I am not sure I want to fly in to Oshkosh this year if I can't get the paint done in time. Everyone was telling me that the paint didn't matter. I'm still undecided, but leaning toward flying in even ugly. We'll see.

__________________________________________________________






After dinner, everyone gathered at Ferrell's home for apple pie and Velocity talk. Their very Velocity themed home is gorgeous and just the place for Velocity fans to get together. Thanks again Brett and Elizabeth.

__________________________________________________________



Eagle One! (with Hummingbird One) There's a guy who is really secure in his masculinity.

I couldn't resist, Andy.

________________________________________________________




The Ferrell's Velocity themed garage/former workshop inspires a group Eagle One pose. I know, we heard it from the wives too.

Anyway, John and the guys at Velocity continue to debug the annoying squawks that are part of the fly off. I eagerly await the time when the hours are almost flown off, so that I can go back down to pick up N929X and fly her home.

More to come soon....

___________________________________________________________

No comments: