To contact Mark

Monday, January 19, 2009

Exhausts and Engine Work


The steel exhausts are supplied by Velocity and fit well. However, they can be improved. I had mine ceramic coated inside and out by Jet Hot Coatings. I chose a new ceramic finish called Sterling Extreme. It is not as shiny as their chrome look coating, but sheds more heat. It lowers CHT temperatures and gives you more horsepower. I used the old version in my first Velocity and loved it. This new finish also looks great.



These are a big improvement over the rough stock initially received with the kit. They are all trimmed, filed, painted and ready to install. One of the most satisfying things about building is finishing a component; the sense that you made something from nothing. As my wife says, "now it looks like an airplane part".



Here they are all mounted. They look good. I'm glad I went with the silver. It really does look like chrome.




I just got back my overhauled fuel servo. Overhauling it cost almost exactly what it cost to buy the used servo. Oh well, its still a thousand dollars less than a brand new one. It looks great- all shiny and clean. I will install it tomorrow IF I can figure out which end is up on this thing. I'm sure any mechanic would know. I'll just have to bug my A&P with another newbie question and let him shake his head again. I know I amuse him, but I'd rather ask and learn.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: